Friday, March 6, 2009

Blinded by the light...of the tv that is.

TGIF!! The weekend is here at last!! After a verrrry busy week I am super happy that the workweek has ended, well sort of anyway. I have to do a jewelry party tonight, which I barely consider work, and I have to work at OB at 4:30 on Sunday. This Sunday I am actually waiting tables though, so it'll be nice to shake things up a bit. And they feed us on Sundays which is always a huge bonus!!! lol.

A while back I signed up for paperless billing with our Internet/cable company, so basically they send you an e-bill in your email account. However, due to us not physically seeing the bill this caused us, well me, to "forget" to pay it. No, Mom, this does not mean we're poor and can't pay it, we were just a tad irresponsible as humans tend to be lol. Anyhow, so this week I was sharply reminded of my non-payment when our Internet access and cable was abruptly shut off. And right now with the house and all of our other bills that are due, the cable bill was not on the top of the priority list so it had to wait to get paid. Now the purpose of me telling you this is not to inform the world of my scatterbrainedness/occasional irresponsibility, but to let you in on a little lesson I learned. I was spending too much time in front of the damn TV and computer! I had become completely addicted and absorbed into my weekly reality shows and my daily celeb gossip. This week I spent time on other things that I had stopped doing a long time ago-like reading books, organizing my apartment, spending more time with the kids. Not that I don't do these at all...just not enough. Its amazing to see that life does go on without certain luxuries that you are certain are essential...until they're gone and you don't miss them as much as you think you would have. Of course, this does not mean we are reforming to a cable-less household, but I do think that I will be more moderate with the "junky" brain food and balance out my activities better. Its amazing how warped we get by who Brett Michaels is fake dating or how certain "housewives" are living their life. I was also more tuned into my life and what is so great about it rather than compare it to those of celebs and feeling crappy about myself. We tend to get a little jaded by the shadow of the spotlight and can quickly forget about what defines a "rich" life to us, and not that of a celeb who makes a gazillion dollars more than us, with a private chef and trainer, makeup artist, stylist, blah blah blah. I know I am getting a little off topic here but the point I am trying to make is that I realized I was focusing a little too much time on other's lives rather than my own. And with a little less TV...I think I might find that my life is just as wonderful and fulfilling.

A while back I wrote of a certain experiment with money that we were going to try. I admit I wasn't as strict as I should have been, but now is the perfect time for it due to our upcoming move into a new home. I have to say, we've really cut out about 95% of our daily spending and have been going bare bones. No more Starbucks for me, weekly poker nights with the guys for Ant, and bottles of wine for relaxing on the couch at night. We've also been, gasp, eating at home!
This was a foreign concept to us before but not anymore! I have also picked up more work at the restaurant for a little income boost and Ant received a slight raise at work. Hey, every little cent helps! And yet again, I quickly learned that, like the lack of cable/Internet, life really does go on!!! Its very eye opening. I also appreciate more of what I already have and am actually using things that I own rather than always needing something new! And its amazing to me that I took for granted before what I own. I have some stinkin' cute clothes, shoes, bags, etc. that I barely took notice of! I even have countless books that went unread while I shopped up one of my fav stores, Borders. It was like the thrill of the buy had gotten more exciting to me than it was to actually use the stuff I was buying. I guess lately, I have been learning alot of valuable lessons, lol. So the moral of this story is, like the TV-everything in moderation. I am not about to totally give up my coffees and discount stores (TJ Maxx, HomeGoods, etc) nor am I going to stop watching my fav shows (hello, The Hills!!) but I am going to make a conscious lifestyle change and nix overdoing it all the time with my indulgences.

This weekend my bff, Kelly is coming home from school in Albany, and I am excited to see her and finally get to celebrate her and Pasquale's (Anthony's bff) engagement! It is so exciting b/c they caught the bouquet/garter at our wedding and now they are getting married!! They are two of our closest friends and we love hanging out at the apartment and playing wii. Maybe we'll even splurge and get a cheap bottle of vino to mark the occasion. lol.

I hope you all have a great weekend! If anyone has any yummy, cheap, and easy dinner recipes...please share! I am running out of ideas!!! Ciao! xoxox

No comments: